Wednesday 5 October 2011

Ist Official Training Walk in The Bag.

Distance covered 4 miles.

First confession is that I am rubbish at gauging miles. I thought I had worked it out that this was a five mile route, but it would seem my sense of distance is as rubbish as my sense of direction!

Anyway, walk number two was done with my buddy Clare who will also be doing the Moonwalk with me. I hold her slightly responsible for giving me the push I needed to agree to do this.

One think I am realising fairly quickly is  how far I probably walk in one go on a day to day basis. When you start working out mileage, the smaller distances aren't as bad as they sound. When will that change? 10 miles? 15 miles?

Maybe 26 miles isn't as scary as I think, or is that just me being over optimistic?

According to all the advice we can find, we should be aiming to do a mile in 16 minutes if not ideally 14 minutes. We did a mile in 18 minutes this morning, so not far off the target (yay). Not sure whether it is better to get the distance up, then worry about speed? Or go for speed then build distance lol.

The thing that I have just worked out though is that doing 1 mile in 18 mins would mean it would take nearly 8 hours! I would love to do it in 6 hours really which means we do need to get down to the 14 minute mile!

Walking with someone though is definitely more pleasurable that walking by yourself. It's a great time to have a girlie gossip and put the world to right!

Talked about possible routes getting longer each time. Some of them sound really unattainable at the moment. Still we have 7 months before the main event. I know for running a marathon, they reckon you should be able to do 18 miles before the day. I think that or 20 would be a good final target to reach before the day.

I wonder whether further into this journey, there will become a day when 26 miles actually will sound achievable?

The really good thing to know is that everything I am scared of with this, Clare is too. That does make feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment